What is the PTA?
The Parent Teacher Association (PTA) is an organization of parents and teachers who who work for the improvement of the school for the benefit of the students. The mission of the Alston Ridge PTA is to build strong relationships between teachers, parents, and students by supporting our teachers, engaging the community, empowering families, and creating opportunities to enhance students’ learning experience.
Why should you join the PTA?
The number one reason to join the Parent Teacher Association is to benefit your child. In doing so, you also help your school. But there are many more PTA advantages:
- Get Connected. There’s no better way to know what’s happening in your school.
- Discover Great Resources. The PTA offers a variety of programs designed for parents and students.
- Tap into a Network. PTA functions are opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, building rapport and discussing issues that are on your mind. You can share ideas, concerns, and experiences. Also, the PTA coordinates a weekly school newsletter, information fliers and social media in order to keep the entire school community informed of current events, issues, and accomplishments. Quarterly PTA Membership meetings allow the PTA to share information with members.
- Watch Yourself Grow. By volunteering with your PTA, you put your skills and hobbies to use for a noble cause—your child and all the children in the school. The PTA organizes hard-working, dedicated volunteers. Parents are ready to help with school fundraising events. Involved parents understand the challenges schools face and become part of the solution.
- Speak Up. PTA can be a way for you to more effectively suggest change at your child’s school.
- Witness Improvement. By getting involved at your child’s school you’ll be part of the solution, helping make positive changes. Local PTAs play an important role by supporting building improvements through advocacy and play an important role in fundraising for curriculum based programs and social events.
- Be a Role Model. By becoming a PTA member, you’ll be demonstrating to your child the importance you place on education.
- Enjoy Substantial Benefits. Individuals can take advantage of a host of benefits from PTA membership including discounts and offers from member benefit providers and sponsors, magazine subscriptions, leadership training, e-newsletters and much more. Click here to a list of providers and save: PTA Member Benefits
How does the PTA help ARE?
By joining, you are helping the PTA go above and beyond what the Wake County Public School System school budget provides. Some things that you may think are provided by the school system may actually be partially or fully funded by your PTA membership dues and donations. Here are a few examples of things the PTA provides for our school:
- Teacher stipends for classroom supplies
- 4 Cultural Arts Assemblies during the school day
- Funding to send teachers to Project Approach training at the Duke School
- Student interest clubs such as yoga and dance
- Science Fair
- Career Day
- Additional technology
- PTA Website and Newsletter
- Staff Appreciation events
- and much more!